Sunday, March 22, 2009

PANAMA CANAL

March 20, 2009
We went through the PANAMA CANAL!!! The first locks were at night and the only time we went up. But the water level rose surprisingly fast, from 41 feet to 72 feet in a few minutes. And it bubbled and moved so much like something was going to come out of it like a serpent! When you use lines to hold yourself in place people throw you a line. The lines have a know called a monkey's claw and it's very heavy to make it better to throw.

We went through the Gatun Lake on the second and last, yest it took two days. The forest that surrounded the lake was filled with howler monkeys which make horrid sounds. When they take the water out to lower you down the gate leaked a bit and that creeped me out. I mean a leak??? The best part was the people at home could see us. The Canal men set up video cameras that send what's happening on the internet.
bye bye for now, Matthew

1 comment:

Bob & Dianna Denny said...

Dear Mattchew...I read your entry about the Kuna Indians. Did you like them only being a little taller than you...or have you grown more than I think! Did you know I was in the San Blas too? I sure am looking forward to seeing you in Port Orchard sometime, Bob and I are living in Port Townsend so we aren't very far away. Tell everyone Hi and I love you!!!!! Dianna